Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Funding Scheme (MHKJFS)
Launched in April 2019, MHKJFS aims to support and encourage research and development (R&D) collaboration among universities, research institutes and technology enterprises in Hong Kong and the Mainland.
The lead applicant must be an R&D Centre1 or a designated local public research institute2. The industry co-applicant for collaborative projects can be either a private company incorporated in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622); or an industry support organisation, a trade and industry association or professional body which has the legal capacity to enter into contracts.
- Support platform and collaborative R&D projects with an element of Mainland and Hong Kong cooperation.
- Maximum Project Duration: 24 months.
- Industry Sponsorship: at least 10% of the total project cost for platform projects; at least 50% of the total project cost for collaborative projects.
- Intellectual Property (IP) Rights Ownership: lead applicant for platform projects; industry co-applicant for collaborative projects if it contributes at least 50% of the total project cost.
- R&D work of the projects must be conducted in both Hong Kong and the Mainland.
- ITC and the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) will provide funding to the Hong Kong and Mainland applicant organisations respectively, and will monitor project progress according to their own requirements.
MHKJFS invites applications for funding once a year. Applications must be submitted simultaneously by the Hong Kong and Mainland applicant organisations (Mainland partners) to ITC and MOST respectively. Unilateral submission will not be accepted. The application period for 2020 was 24 April 2020 to 15 June 2020. Please read the following documents before submitting an application:
- Guide to Filling in the MHKJFS Application Form (Chinese version only)
- Funding and Administrative Guidelines for Successful Applicants
- Guide on Intellectual Property Arrangements for Research and Development Projects funded under the Innovation and Technology Fund
The ITF Secretariat will conduct a preliminary screening upon receipt of an application. Where necessary, individual application may be subject to external review. The ITF Secretariat"s assessment, together with the views of external reviewers (if any), will be submitted to the Innovation and Technology Fund Research Projects Assessment Panel for examination in accordance with the assessment framework.
ITC and MOST will vet the applications separately, following each side"s own criteria. Only applications that are supported by both sides will be funded.
Frequently Asked Questions
MHKJFS provides funding support for both platform and collaborative R&D projects. Projects funded by the MHKJFS will have to demonstrate an element of cooperation between Hong Kong and the Mainland (e.g. collaboration between research institutes in both places).
Platform projects refer to applied R&D projects that are industry-oriented and have potential for commercialisation. The projects must be undertaken by R&D Centres1 or designated local public research institutes2. All platform projects require industry sponsorship from at least one private company to cover at least 10% of the total project cost within the project period. The IP rights generated from the projects will be owned by the lead applicants.
Collaborative projects refer to R&D projects undertaken by R&D Centres1 or designated local public research institutes2 in collaboration with industry co-applicants. The industry co-applicant should contribute, in the form of industry sponsorship, at least 50% of the total project cost if it wishes to own the IP rights generated from the project.
The applications will be processed and vetted by ITC and MOST separately. Only applications supported by both sides will be funded.
TCFS aims to enhance R&D collaboration between Hong Kong and Guangdong or Shenzhen. To support and encourage further R&D collaboration between Hong Kong and the Mainland, the HKSAR Government and MOST launched MHKJFS in 2019 to support R&D projects jointly conducted by Hong Kong and Mainland institutions.
The funding model and modus operandi of MHKJFS largely follow that of the projects jointly funded under Category C of TCFS. Applications under MHKJFS must be submitted simultaneously by the Hong Kong and the Mainland institutions (Mainland partners) to ITC and MOST respectively.
The Mainland partner should basically be an R&D institute, higher education institute or enterprise having registered in the Mainland and with the status of independent legal person. For the detailed requirements and any additional criteria, please refer to the Guide (in Chinese) issued by the MOST.
The right of final decision on the eligibility of the Mainland partner lies with the MOST.
Applications should be completed in Chinese. In submitting an application, the lead applicant should also enclose the application from its Mainland partner which should be submitted concurrently to the MOST.
- Tel: (852) 3655 5678
- Fax: (852) 2957 8726
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org