Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (TSSSU)
What is TSSSU?
- TSSSU provides funding to six universities to support their teams in starting technology businesses and commercialising their research and development (R&D) results.
- The six universities are The University of Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong Baptist University and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- From 2019-20 onwards, an annual funding of up to $8 million is provided to each of the six universities. Each funded technology start-up may receive up to $1.5 million each year for no more than three yearsNote 1.
- The scope of funding of TSSSU includes essential items for setting up and operating the start-ups (e.g. furniture and equipment, legal and accounting services, rental of necessary and suitable premises, manpower, etc.), expenditure on R&D, and promotion activities and marketing of their R&D deliverables, products or services.
- TSSSU funding is provided to the universities on a reimbursement basis after the close of each Government financial year.
- Some examples of the TSSSU-funded start-ups are available at this weblink.
- For information on the funded start-ups, please see the TSSSU Directory.
Who are eligible to apply?
A technology start-up will be eligible to apply if –
- it is registered in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance for not more than two years as of the date of the application deadlineNote 2; and
- the team forming the start-up may have any mix of the students and professors of the university –
- undergraduates, postgraduates or alumni; and/or
- professor(s) serving as consultant(s) providing technical expertise and direction of the R&D.
How to apply for funding?
Technology start-ups interested in TSSSU should submit their applications to the knowledge transfer office/technology transfer office/entrepreneurial centre of their associated universities. Applications assessed and recommended by the selection panel of each university will be forwarded to the Innovation and Technology Commission for agreement.
Application Form and Guidelines
The six universities have prescribed their respective application forms and guidelines on the handling of TSSSU applications. For details, please refer to their websites –