Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a postdoctoral talent with non-local qualification participate in the Postdoctoral Hub?
Yes. For postdoctoral talent with relevant qualification obtained from a non-local institution, he/she is eligible to participate in the Postdoctoral Hub if the qualification awarding institution is among the top 100 institutions for STEM-related subjects in the latest publication of any of the following world university ranking tables:
For qualification obtained from a non-local institution outside the above lists, the postdoctoral talent should provide relevant document(s), such as the qualification assessment report issued by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ), supporting that the specific skills possessed by him/her or the equivalence of the qualification concerned being assessed is on the doctoral level for consideration.
- Can an existing researcher under the Researcher Programme1 with a doctoral degree be transferred to the Postdoctoral Hub or join the programme after completion of the researcher engagement period?
Yes. The Postdoctoral Hub and the Researcher Programme1 are two separate funding programmes. Eligible applicant organisation/company has to submit fresh application for the proposed postdoctoral talent to join the Postdoctoral Hub and be subject to compliance with its funding conditions.
- If an applicant organisation/company has already engaged two researchers under the Researcher Programme1, can it still apply for two postdoctoral talent under the Postdoctoral Hub?
Yes. The Postdoctoral Hub and the Researcher Programme1 are two separate funding programmes. Under these two programmes, an eligible applicant organisation/company can engage up to two researchers and two postdoctoral talent at any one time to conduct research and development (R&D) work. Yet the maximum engagement period for each researcher/postdoctoral talent under each programme should not exceed 36 months.
For incubatees and innovation and technology (I&T) tenants of HKSTPC and Cyberport, ITVF investee companies as well as technology companies conducting R&D activities in Hong Kong, the total engagement period for its researchers/postdoctoral talents under each programme should not exceed 72 months.
- Can the engagement period under Postdoctoral Hub and the engagement period under the Researcher Programme1 overlap each other?
No. Both the Postdoctoral Hub and the Researcher Programme1 require the postdoctoral talent/researcher to work on a full-time basis; hence he/she cannot be engaged concurrently under both programmes.
- If the applicant is a private company, can the proprietor, partner, shareholder or management of the company or their relatives be engaged as a postdoctoral talent under the Postdoctoral Hub?
No. To avoid conflict of interest, the proprietor, partner, shareholder or management of the applicant company or their relatives is not eligible to be engaged as a postdoctoral talent under the programme.
- Can non-local technology talent admitted under TechTAS benefit from the Postdoctoral Hub?
Yes. Any non-local technology talent fulfilling the eligibility requirement under the Postdoctoral Hub, including those admitted under the TechTAS, can benefit from the Postdoctoral Hub.