Innovation and Technology Fund for Better Living (FBL)
Launched in May 2017, FBL aims to fund innovation and technology ("I&T") projects which will make people's daily living more convenient, comfortable and safer, or address the needs of specific community groups.
The lead applicant must be:
- Non-governmental organisations receiving subvention from the Social Welfare Department; or
- Public bodies under Section 2 of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (Cap. 201), except the Government Bureaux/Departments, the Executive Council and the Legislative Council; or
- Professional bodies; or
- Trade associations; or
- Social service organisations exempted from tax under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance (Cap. 112)
The above organisations should either be registered under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622) or the former Companies Ordinance (Cap. 32); or statutory corporations established under any Ordinances in Hong Kong. Other organisations may also be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- Funds projects that involve the innovative application of technologies, benefit the public at large or specific groups, and be in line with government policies.
- Themes: daily living, education, environment, health, safety, transport, etc.
- Project deliverables should be developed and rolled out within 12 months, and run for at least two consecutive years after roll-out (except for projects that are one-off in nature).
- Maximum Funding Support: 90% of the total eligible costs of the project or HK$5 million, whichever is the less.
- Projects should not be profit-making during the funding period.
FBL invites applications for funding all year round. Applications should be submitted either through the Administrative System of the Innovation and Technology Bureau – Fund for Better Living ("ASITB – FBL") or by post / in person. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications through the ASITB – FBL. Please read the following documents before submitting an application:
Applications will be considered by the FBL Assessment Panel. The terms of reference and membership of the Assessment Panel are at here.
The Assessment Panel will assess each eligible application based on the assessment framework.
Frequently Asked Questions
In addition to key features mentioned above, projects funded by FBL should also have the following elements:
- Project should benefit the community.
- Project deliverable can be in the form of mobile app, product, device, equipment, tool, service, software, or any other form with valid justifications.
- Projects should primarily be developed within Hong Kong.
The applications and relevant supporting documents should be submitted with (i) a duly completed Application Form together with all the required documents; and (ii) a soft copy of the application (preferably in MS Word format and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.) The application should be addressed or brought to the FBL Secretariat on 10/F, Rykadan Capital Tower, 135 Hoi Bun Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon.
Any intellectual property rights created in or via the projects will be vested with the successful Applicant. Successful Applicant is encouraged to make available all the intellectual property rights created in or via the Projects in the public domain and allow the public to use for free.
Any income generated from the intellectual property rights created in or via the project during the funding period should be ploughed back into the project accounts.
- Please refer to FBL website for details.
- More FAQs:
- Tel: (852) 3152 3374
- Fax: (852) 2957 8726
- Email: email@example.com