Technology Voucher Programme (TVP)
What is TVP?
TVP was launched in November 2016 on a pilot basis to subsidise local small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in using technological services and solutions to improve productivity, or upgrade or transform their business processes.
Since 28 February 2018, the eligibility of TVP has been relaxed as follows:
- an applicant enterprise is required to have substantive business operation in Hong Kong at the time of application instead of for a year; and
- TVP is eligible to non-listed enterprises of all sizes instead of just for small and medium enterprises.
Since 27 February 2019, the following enhancement measures have been implemented:
- converting the TVP into a regular funding programme under the Innovation and Technology Fund;
- expanding the eligibility criteria to cover companies incorporated and registered in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance and statutory bodies set up in Hong Kong (except government subvented organisations and their subsidiaries);
- increasing the funding ceiling per applicant from $200,000 to $400,000; (Attention: Applications submitted before the announcement of this measure are still subject to the original funding ceiling of $200,000. Applicants wishing to increase the funding requested beyond $200,000 should withdraw the original application and submit a new one in the TVP Funding Administrative System (https://tvp.itf.gov.hk).)
- increasing the maximum number of approved projects per entity from three to four;
- expanding the list of typical technological services and solutions in Annex B of the Guidance Notes for Applications;
- simplifying the application procedures by –
- waiving the requirement for applicants to submit the quotation invitation documents issued to service providers in their applications; and
- waiving the requirement for applicants to certify the supporting documents (i.e. to sign by an authorised person of the applicant and affix the company chop) for submission in applications;
- waiving the requirement for obtaining prior approval from the Innovation and Technology Commission for early project completion and project extension for no more than six months; and
- clarifying the definition of off-the-shelf/readily available items as those that can be procured “off-the-shelf” and installed/used directly by the applicant enterprises, such as desktop/notebook computers, printers, scanners, servers, mobile phones, tablets, standard office suites (MS Office), anti-virus software, etc., while software systems that require compilation/integration by service providers at the request of the applicants, even those involving standard modules with or without tailor-made features, will be regarded as customised items as long as they are not readily available “off-the-shelf”.
To learn more about TVP, please see TVP FAQ.
For information of approved TVP projects, please see the List of Approved TVP Projects.
Pamphlet, Guides and Application Form
Video of Case Sharing by Successful Applicant
Who are eligible to apply?
Local entities (except listed enterprises) fulfilling the following requirements are eligible to apply for funding under the TVP:
||Registered in Hong Kong under the Business Registration Ordinance (Cap. 310); or
||Incorporated and registered in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622); or
||Established in Hong Kong by relevant ordinances as statutory bodies;
||Not a government subvented organisation* or subsidiary of any government subvented organisation*;
||With substantive business operation in Hong Kong which is related to the project under application at the time of application.
*Government subvented organisation means organisation that receives subvention from the Government on a recurrent basis. The subvention contributes towards the organisation's operational expenses, in exchange for its service to the public. The recurrent subvention may account for the bulk of the organisation's income or may just be a token contribution/sponsorship forming a small percentage of the organisation's total income.
What kind of projects will be funded by TVP?
TVP supports projects in the form of technological services and solutions which could improve productivity, or upgrade or transform the business processes of the applicant. A list of typical technological services and/or solutions covered by TVP is at Annex B of the Guidance Notes for Applications. Applicants are welcome to propose other technological services and solutions which could achieve the objectives of TVP. We shall consider the merits of such applications on a case-by-case basis. For funding support under TVP, prior approval must be obtained before project commencement. The project deliverables should be used in a way that would have direct impact on the applicant’s business operation in Hong Kong.
How can I use the funds from TVP?
The approved funding from TVP can be used to cover the following:
- Technology Consultancy – the applicant may engage a technology consultant to provide external consultancy for conducting the project under application. The consultant must be a local university or research institution, or a company registered in Hong Kong under the BRO.
- Purchase, rental or subscription of customised equipment/hardware, software and technological services or solutions that form an essential part of the project.
- Purchase, rental or subscription of off-the-shelf/readily available equipment/hardware, software and technological services or solutions that form an essential part of the project. In general, the costs of such equipment/ hardware/ software/ services or solutions should constitute no more than 50% of the project cost.
- Project auditing for projects with approved funding exceeding $50,000. The maximum audit fee to be counted towards the total project cost is $3,000.
Normal business operating costs will not be funded under TVP.
What is the funding amount?
Funding up to $400,000 for each eligible applicant will be provided on a 2:1 matching basis. The applicant must contribute no less than one third of the total approved project cost in cash. In other words, funding of no more than two-thirds of the actual project cost will be provided to an applicant. Subject to the cumulative funding ceiling of $400,000, up to four projects from an applicant may be approved. To ensure proper focus on project implementation, an applicant is not allowed to undertake more than one TVP project at the same time. Expenditure items under an approved TVP project shall not receive funding support from other local public funding sources.
Is there any restriction on the project duration?
Each project should normally be completed within 12 months.
What is the vetting mechanism ?
Upon receipt of an application, ITC will check its eligibility and conduct a preliminary screening. ITC may also seek clarification or supplementary information from the applicant if necessary. Eligible applications will be considered by the TVP Committee while ineligible applications will be returned to the applicant. Applications supported by the Committee will be submitted to the Commissioner for Innovation and Technology (CIT) for approval of funding.
What are the vetting criteria ?
Each eligible application will be assessed based on individual merits and considered on a case-by-case basis. The assessment criteria include –
- relevance of the proposed project to the applicant’s business – the project should have good prospects of enhancing its competitiveness through improving productivity, business development/expansion, cost reduction or efficiency enhancement, upgrading/improving/ transforming business processes.
- reasonableness of the budget – assessment with reference to market prices of the technologies in question as known to the TVP Committee or ITC will be made. Individual items of expenditure must also be essential and directly related to the implementation of the project.
- reasonableness of the implementation details – consideration may include whether concrete project deliverables and outcomes have been set. The implementation details should also be realistic taking into account factors such as the complexity of the technology and the project duration.
- adverse record of consultants and/or service provider(s) as known to the TVP Committee and ITC if available.
How to apply for funding?
An entity should register as a user and submit its application through the Technology Voucher Programme Funding Administrative System (https://tvp.itf.gov.hk). Applicants may approach the TVP Secretariat for assistance if they encounter difficulties in submitting applications through the TVP website.
Is there any application deadline?
TVP is open for application throughout the year.
||Technology Voucher Programme Secretariat,
Innovation and Technology Commission,
10/F, Rykadan Capital Tower, 135 Hoi Bun Road,
Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
||Mondays to Fridays:
8:45am to 12:30pm
1:30pm to 6:00pm
Saturdays, Sundays & Public Holidays: Closed
||(852) 3523 1170
||(852) 3523 1189